Language and Culture Course Overview
Language and Culture FutureLearn course for learners of English looks at British culture and examines English in use to help you improve your language skills. On this course, you will learn about British life and culture, and improve your English language skills and knowledge.
Through short videos, you will learn about different popular culture topics as well as ways of life in the UK, including English as a global language, the countryside, music, and literature. Filmed in Great Britain, these videos will help you to develop your listening skills as you watch authentic examples of people speaking English. You will also examine some of the language used in the videos and analyze its use and learn how to use it again in practice.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to,
- Reflect on different popular culture topics as well as ways of life in the UK
- Explore English as a global language
- Develop your listening skills as you watch authentic examples of people speaking English
- Reflect on language in use
- Develop language skills and practise using new language
- Discuss the countryside, music, and literature
English: the global language
- Why is English so widely used?
- How does technology help you learn?
- Language focus: passives
- Useful expressions
Music: making a difference
- What does British music mean to you?
- Music and society
- Language focus: clauses
Countryside: a green and pleasant land
- What do people think about the British countryside?
- A visit to the Lake District in north-west England
- A look at the different parts of the UK
- Language focus: description
Literature: books and identity
- British literature
- Shakespeare and the Globe Theatre
- Anniversaries in British literature
- Language focus: comparatives and superlatives
- Chris Cavey