Introduction to Dutch Course Overview
Learn to speak, write and understand basic Dutch, with this free, three-week, introductory foreign language course. Are you planning to visit, or work or study in the Netherlands soon? Introduction to Dutch FutureLearn is a free online course is perfect if you have little or no prior knowledge of Dutch but would like to master the fundamentals in order to survive life in the Low Countries.
Learn basic Dutch
The course will run over three weeks, helping you to:
- introduce yourself and get to know other learners
- talk about your family, friends, work, and study
- and experience life in the Netherlands
Speak, write and understand useful Dutch
During the course, you will learn Dutch phrases, greetings, vocabulary, numbers, spelling, and grammar. Being able to understand the language will make everyday activities, such as shopping or going out to a restaurant, much more enjoyable.
By the end of the course, you will be able to recognize familiar words and phrases about yourself and your family. You will be taught to use simple sentences to describe where you live and the people you know.
Finally, you will be able to write short texts such as an email or fill in forms with personal details. The main focus will be on receptive skills such as reading and listening.
Learn with the University of Groningen Language Centre
The course will be taught in English by lecturers of Dutch and English from the University of Groningen in the Netherlands.
So, if you would like to get a taste of Dutch – and join the 23 million people who speak the language in the Netherlands, Flanders, Suriname and many other countries – join the course now.
- Reading and listening to dialogues about work, study, hobbies, eating, drinking, living, weather, and the time
- Understanding the grammar around the conjugation of verbs, word order, personal pronouns, adjectives, modal verbs, and making questions
- Writing and speaking assignments including introducing oneself and speaking about eating and living
- Introduction to Dutch culture
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to…
- Apply basic Dutch vocabulary and grammar in a range of everyday situations
- Produce short written statements in Dutch about every day life
- Discuss simple concepts, situations, and needs in Dutch
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at people with no prior knowledge of the Dutch language, who have a strong interest in learning languages. It will give you a taste of language skills that will help you to survive in Dutch-speaking countries. The main focus will be on receptive skills like reading and listening. It will be taught in English.